You have options
EOS creates pressure, but also opportunity. How will you upgrade your systems? Will you solve for immediate concerns or take the chance to modernize your infrastructure?
- Upgrade to newer versions of SQL/Windows Server
- The simplest option in terms of minimizing change and extra training needs.
- Purchase on-premises extended support
- Enables you to maintain performance and security, though it requires Software Assurance and can be excessively costly.
- Migrate workloads to Azure
- Ensure never-ending support and reduce hardware constraints with an optimized Azure environment and/or hybrid approach.
Windows/SQL Server updates are also often accompanied by infrastructure updates. This could mean deploying converged or hyperconverged solutions, or new FPGAs or memory systems. Doing so can provide clear benefits, such as better performance and simplified management.